Often referred to as acid or trips, LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is a well-known hallucinogen.
LSD is sometimes called trips, tripper, tab, stars, smilies, rainbows, paper mushrooms, Lucy, drop, dots, cheer or blotter. It comes as tiny squares of paper decorated with pictures, as a liquid in a vial, or as a pellet. It is swallowed or absorbed through the skin.
The effects of LSD include: altered perception and visual and auditory hallucinations. The ‘trip’ can be enjoyable or bad, it may result in a sense of relaxation and happiness or feelings of panic. The effects can last up to 12 hours.
If too much is taken or a bad trip is experienced LSD can make mental health problems even worse. If someone is having a bad trip, take them to a quiet, comfortable area, stay with them, and reassure them.
If you use LSD it is important to know how to be as safe as possible:
Use in a safe and comfortable place with someone sober
Take half-dose first to see what the effects are like
Plan a day or two to come down
Avoid driving or operating machinery
If someone is having a bad trip, take them to a quiet, comfortable area, stay with them, and reassure them
Call an ambulance if you are unable to calm someone on a bad trip